Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A review of the past 18 months

When I began cloth diapering I had a few diapers and a list of concerns, most of them had to deal with the washing. Fast forward to today, I am frequently asked for cloth advice, I've converted at least one friend to cloth, and I do not fear the laundry. I happily use my Planet powder detergent (bought in bulk from Amazon...free shipping!) and do my cold rinse, hot wash, cold rinse (only if it is still stinky). I enjoy sunning my diaper and laugh when they all blow off the rack or freeze to the rack due to the cold temps outside (yes I have sunned my diapers this winter).

In the last 18 months of cloth diapering there have been many changes to my stash. The diapers that I thought were my favorites are no longer. Here's a run down of my stash (in no particular order):

19 Bum Genius 3.0s (one size) [BGs]
1 Bum Genius AIO organic (one size)
6 or so Happy Heinys (One size and large)
2 Monkey Doodlez AIO large
1 Apple Cheeks (size 2)
3 Haute Pockets (one size)
2 Knickernappies (one size)
1 Rocky Mountain (one size)
2 Mommy's Touch (one size) *may be retired soon due to sizing issues*
2 Fuzzi Bunz (medium)
2 Rumperooz (one size) *may be retired soon due to sizing issues*
1 Dream-eaze (large AIO)
1 Gro-Baby (size 2)
1 Mother's Ease (I won this One Size diaper)
3 Smartipants (one size)

When we first started our favorites were the BG 3.0s and the Happy Heinys. 18 month later, I've learned many things. This would be a very long post if I went through every diaper...so I will only do a couple right now Bum Genius 3.0s (BGs) and Happy Heinys (HH).

What I like about the BG's;
* they're easy to use
* they still fit his 26 lb body (although they're getting shorter)
Things I don't like:
* the stains (more my fault than the diapers)
* the white ones are dingy looking on the outside and I don't know how to fix that
* the appix on the front is pilling and on one diaper starting to fall off, (sigh), they're not as nice as they were when I bought them, I guess that's what happens when they're constantly used :)

Happy Heiny's are the similar to the BGs the fit is getting snugger --except for the large which fits great, the applix is bending (no pilling), and I do have slight staining on some. My concern with the older HHs is that the fleece interior is starting to stretch out. It doesn't effect the abilities of the diaper but the beauty of the diaper is not what it once was. Two BIG bonus points for both diapers: the elastic is still great, even after 18 months of use.

1 comment:

Erin said...

We just ordered some old school rubber pants and are praying they help with the night time wetting up the belly!